As summer vacation counts down, just about every school kid in your household may be feeling the back to school blues. Conversely, as a parent you may be over the moon excited about the fast approaching first day of school. So, how do you reconcile this conflict of interest?
Help is on the horizon. Believe it or not, there are ways to get kids excited about going back to school. With a little creativity, you can help shift the mood from gloom to glee.
Here are a few pointers:
- Get new outfits for the new school year. Nothing says back to school better than new outfits. Kids will feel more confident returning to school with trendy new fashions. Buying new clothes doesn’t have to be a budget buster. A few new pieces to mix in with the current wardrobe will do the trick. Plus, take advantage of back to school sales.
- Have a talk. Communicate with kids about the importance of going to school. Ask them what they like most and least about school. Then discuss ways to improve their least favorite parts.
- Take kids shopping for school supplies. Involve the kids by letting them help shop for their school supplies. Grab the back to school supply list and plan a fun-filled shopping event. Don’t forget a few extras like a set of colorful markers or a fun journal they can enjoy now and throughout the school year. These items are sure to spark inspiration in a child.
- Re-establish routines early. Going to bed and getting up at certain times before school starts will get kids ready for back to school. Setting routines early will make it easier for them to adjust at the start of the school year. You can even build in a reward system for adhering to the schedule.
- Throw a back to school bash. This doesn’t have to be extravagant. Just get a few of your kids’ school friends together and make it a fun time. Have featured activities that get kids in a “learning is fun” frame of mind. Fun activities include puzzles and team games. These activities reinforce the fun in being around others and help build bonds with kids in the same school.
Whatever you choose to do to get that back to school spark going, don’t forget you can shop at Wiley’s for school supplies. The gift shop at your local Wiley’s Pharmacy carries pens, paper, and all the essentials your little one needs for the start of the school year.